Simple Dog Training Steps You Must Follow
The dog has always remained the first and the best friend of humans. The waving tail, puppy’s paw, innocent face, and the shining eyes, are powerful enough to make a dull face happy. Having a dog is a blessing. You cannot only play with them but you can also, talk to them after a certain time. They become your family and even the thought of leaving them alone can disturb you. However, at times you might need to travel a place where you cannot take them with you or you have guests at your place who might not be a dog person.
So, to avoid all those situations it becomes necessary to train your dog and we also recommend you to follow the entire content till the end, to learn the best ways of how to train your dogs:
Getting Started With The Basic Dog Training
So, have you framed your mind to start training your dog? But you are not sure about where you actually need to start it.
Initially, dog training can look pretty easy and overwhelming, but the hidden truth is that training dog is actually a very big project and even sometimes, you might feel like quitting in between.
Consider the below-mentioned set of instructions to get the training started:
- Start a Dog Obedience Program: Learn the prominent ways to set a basic foundation before you actually begin to train your dog.
- Positive Reinforcement: Training your dog may annoy you at times, but handling the situation in a positive way is the best for both the dog and trainer.
- Train Your Dog Using Games: Training your dog should be fun! And one should never underestimate the real power of conventional games as well.
- Besides, you can also consider hiring a dog trainer for private lessons or dedicated training classes through dog daycare
Once you are done with the basics, let’s start with the dog obedience training. Buying a trainer is easy, but if you can save your money by teaching your dog with the simple steps, you should definitely for it and try to do it yourself. Moreover, if you will go for it with the right attitude, it can be fun for both you and your dog.
Sit Jackson!! :
- It is one of the basic and foremost dog obedience commands that you can teach easily to your dog, so it’s a good one to start with.
- Hold a treat close to your dog’s nose it can be anything, his favorite cookie or maybe a calcium chopstick.
- Now, all you need to play with him. Make him want more. Move your hand up and down, allowing his head to follow the treat and that will cause his bottom to get lower.
- Once he’s in sitting position, say “Sit,” give him his reward that he earned, the treat, and share affection by massaging your hand over his head.
Make this a habit and Repeat this sequence a few times until your dog has mastered this art. Once, he becomes sincere you can ask him to sit before mealtime or when you are leaving for walks, and during other situations where you’d like him calm and seated, like the time when guest visit your home.
Come, Browny!! :
This may look simple as every dog responds well when called by his name, but at times this command can help keep a dog out of trouble. It can bring him back to you if you lose grip on the leash or you accidentally left the front door open.
- Make sure to put a leash and collar on your dog.
- Be polite and go down to his level and say, “Come, your dog’s name” while gently pulling on the leash.
- When he gets back to you, reward him with affection and a treat.
Once he’s mastered it with the leash or the collar, you can simply remove it — and practice the command in a safe, enclosed area first to avoid any unforeseen mishap.
Getting your dog down and into the submissive posture can be one of the more difficult commands in dog obedience training. All you need to do is be polite, positive and equally attentive, particularly with fearful or anxious dogs.
- Likewise human, every dog is fond of getting rewarded. So, to start with this training program you need to find a particularly good smelling treat, and hold it tight in your closed fist.
- Hold your hand up to your dog’s snout, so that he can sniff it. When he sniffs it, move your hand close to the floor, so he follows.
- Then slide your hand along the ground in front of your dog to encourage his body to follow his head while aiming for his reward.
- Once he’s in the down position, say “Down,” entertain him with the treat. Praise his work.
Follow the above mentioned recommended points every day. Don’t rush, as your dog may take time, but it’s okay. After all, he’s working hard to figure it out!
Pluto, Stay!! :
Has your dog mastered the art of sitting or do you still think that he needs more practice? If yes, then you may need to wait for some time to teach this art. However, if you are sure your dog is an expert at the “Sit” command, you can follow the instructions mentioned underneath:
- First, ask your dog to “Sit.” And open your hand’s palm toward your hand, in front of you, and say “Stay.”
- Take a few steps back. Reward him, if he stays. Increase the number of steps you take before presenting him the treat.
- Always reward your puppy and show affection for staying put — even if it’s just for a few seconds.
This exercise helps in improving the self-control for your dog, so, getting annoyed is okay but don’t be discouraged if it takes a while to master for dogs. After all, these loving creatures never want to be sitting or waiting but on the move.
Jacky, Leave it!!
If you are a dog owner who takes his dog regularly on a walk or in the garden, then you need to learn this skill as soon as possible. It will not only keep your dog safe but it will also, protect your pup from getting stuck in any possible danger. The goal is always simple to let your dog learn that will get something better for ignoring the other item.
- Hold cookies in both hands and show him one enclosed fist with the treat inside, and say, “Leave it.”
- Let him try everything he can do to get it. Allow him to lick, sniff, mouth, paw, and bark to try to get it. But you have to be rigid and ignore the behaviors.
- Once he stops trying, give him his treat from the other hand.
- Repeat until your puppy moves away when you say, “Leave it.” and give your dog the treat when he moves away from that first fist and also looks up at you for the treat you promised.
Don’t rush the process. Remember, you’re asking a lot of your dog. So, please be gentle, polite and don’t be harsh on them. These pure souls can’t even speak a word for mercy.
With the help of these simple commands, you can keep your dog safe and improve your communication with him. It’s well worth the investment of your time and effort that you applied to it. This may take time and teaching to a mature dog is way more difficult than training a newbie, so you can start your dog obedience training session if you’re in the right mindset to practice calm energy and to patient enough to survive every obstacle.